In the year of our Lord and Savior 1939, a few dedicated saints organized the Ideal Missionary Baptist Church. The Church was located on the corner of Hill and Willow St. in the fair park of Dallas. Rev. Lott was called as pastor and lead the church for six years. In 1946, the Ideal Missionary Baptist Church relocated on Fitzhugh Ave. Rev. P.T. Shaw became the pastor. The church remained on Fitzhugh until 1964. Because of membership growth, the church relocated to the Oak Cliff area and was renamed Greater Ideal Baptist Church. Not long after that the church moved again to the corner of Exeter and Hale St. In 1968, GIBC moved to 3010 ½ Overton Rd., where we rented the upstairs in the education building of the New Cliff Baptist Church. Rev. P.T. Shaw resigned as pastor after 22 years. Rev. S.D. Breaux was called as pastor in September 1968 and served until 1970. We purchased the New Cliff Baptist Church building, 3010 Overton Rd. in May 1969. Rev. Joe B. White served as pastor from 1970 to 1973.
Rev. L.D. Thomas was called as pastor in 1973. On the Saturday before Easter of April 1981, our sanctuary was destroyed by fire. Through faith, we marched back into our sanctuary in October 1981. As our church had grown, so have our ministries, which include: the bus ministry, Women’s Ministry, Brotherhood, Bible Study, Youth Ministry, Music Ministry, Church School and Children Church. The committed and faithful members, whom have given of their time, talents and finances to advance the cause of Christ, can rejoice in the assurance of a work well done. In 1992, the Robert L. Bates Sr. Memorial Scholarship Fund was established. Since that time we have given scholarships to young people who are accepted into a college or trade school each year. As a result of a vision of our late pastor, Rev. L.D. Thomas and financial programs, we broke ground for our newly built church the 19th October 2003. After 30 years of devoted and loyal service to GIBC, the Lord called Pastor Thomas home on November 23, 2003.
At 10am September 12, 2004, with much praise, pride, and joy, we marched from our old church building into our new church facilities located at 3610 Bonnie View Rd. Our entrance service was held April 3, 2005 and was commemorated with a Proclamation form the City of Dallas presented by former City Councilwoman Maxine Thornton-Reese.
After more than a year without a pastor, Rev. Steven Sims was called and served for over three years.
In 2008 God took us through a pruning period, after which Rev. Terrance R. Johnson was called by the Lord in November of that year, to serve as Pastor of our beloved church.
We want to continue to build on our history that is filled with sacrifice, commitment, faith, and prayer, as we look forward to the challenges and goals of our tomorrow.